Sheila Floodman McAllister has recently retired from the practice of law.
Sheila brought over 36 years of experience and a reputation for excellence to every case. Fellow attorneys from Wichita, the states of Kansas and Missouri and across the nation repeatedly recognized her competence, dedication and integrity by selecting her for some of the legal profession’s highest honors. Sheila was a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, was listed in Best Lawyers in America, in Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers and was been named one of the top 50 Women Lawyers in Missouri and Kansas. She has the highest peer review rating from the independent industry review agency, Martindale-Hubbell. This rating placed her in the top 5% of women lawyers.
Sheila focused her practice on family law – divorce, spousal and child support, custody issues, prenuptial agreements and property division issues including cases with business valuation issues and professional practice valuation issues.
Sheila’s team included her legal assistant of over 28 years, Kelly Orloske, Megan Kimbrell, JD and MSW and Kristina Retzlaff, JD.
Professional Recognition at the National Level
- Was a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since 1993.
- Was listed in the “Best Lawyers of America” in the family law area since 1995.
- Was listed in KC Magazine’s Super Lawyer Section, Top Attorneys in Missouri and Kansas since inception.
- Was listed in KC Magazine’s Super Lawyer Section, The Top 50 Women Attorneys in KS & MO in 2011 and 2012.
- Had the highest rating (AV) by the nationwide rating legal/directory of Martindale Hubbell (top 5% of women lawyers)
- Was listed in the Bar Registry of Preeminent Women Lawyers for 2012 in Martindale Hubbell
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” – Family Law 2015
Sampling of Practice Strengths
- Worked with diverse clients with assets ranging from nominal estates to marital estates of $40,000,000+.
- Handled numerous marital dissolutions involving valuation of independently owned businesses and professional practices. Examples include construction companies, farm implement dealerships, car dealerships, printing and advertising agencies, manufacturing businesses, farming and ranching operations, investment/insurance/security businesses, restaurants/franchises, etc., and professional practices such as dental, medical and optical, etc.
- Developed long-range economic recovery plans for clients whom have no wage earning capacity; utilizes consultants to assist in developing a plan for economic recovery and have obtained orders from Court to fund same as a part of divorce.
- Represented litigant whose divorce generated nationwide publicity and attention. Performed discovery, research and analysis which assisted in the indictment of opposing party for bankruptcy fraud. In addition to legal representation of the divorce, handled public relations requests from local and national print and television media.
- Prevailing attorney in appeal of litigation severing a parent’s parental rights.
- Former member of the Wichita Bar Association, Family Law Section Committee Member
- Former Member, Kansas Bar Association, Family Law Section Executive Board Member
- Former Member, Kansas Bar Association Ethics & Grievance Committee
- Former Fellow of American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Contributions Made Towards the Advancement of Family Law:
- Sheila served as President of the Kansas Bar Association, Family Law Section and as Chair of the Wichita Bar Association Family Law Committee. She has also written articles and given numerous seminars on family law issues.
- B.S. University of Kansas, 1976 – J.D. University of Kansas, 1979
- Married to Dennis C. McAllister, DDS
- Three adult children; Banks, Blake and Paige Floodman